Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I lost out on £100...

Last friday my mate offhand said, we should put a bet on the England Triple this weekend. "Ah", thought I, "What a great idea! At about 16-1 I think thats worth a fiver"

So the next day I looked up the odds on the net, a £7 treple spread would cost me £7 as it's £1 a line, and would net me £107! Bargain I thought, not really expecting it to happen, especially as england in the cricket were already down to pakistan 143-1 with odds of 10-1. But hey, I put the bet on anyway.

After driving all the way to Dover from York for a school reunion party, it was 3 o'clock and I was dying to find out the England Vs Australia score. To my disgust no pub in Dover has Sky so no game... After the game on BBC1 I was amazed to find out that we'd won! I was happy to say the least, the least likely result had come through, 1/3 of the way there!

Later that day I was watching the football. Still not really considering that my bet stood a chance. Then England went 2-1 down and I consoled myself with another beer. "Oh well, I wasn't really expecting much..." Then miracle of miracles! With only 3 minutes left to go of the match, Michael Owen smacks in 2 amazing goals and England win 3-2! I was beside myself! 2/3 of the way there, and England were making a comeback in the cricket!

For the next few days I paid close attention to the cricket, checking it at work, watching the live scores updates, seeing us creep back and then take the lead. In the second innings England seemed in commanding form, trouncing Pakistan and needing under 200 runs to win. Then everything started going wrong...

At the station this morning I listened on the radio, we only need 60 runs from 3 wickets, it doesnt seem like a lot. Then when I get to work I discover that England lost. By 22 runs. And I only won £9... Meaning I had lost out on nearly £100...

Oh well, at least I got my money back!

No comments: